Our Real Estate lawyers regularly create commercial fee and leasehold condominiums to help clients navigate a mixed use/mixed ownership building. The condominium structure has the advantage of creating separate tax lots for the property and providing easements and insurance regimes to permit the building to operate efficiently. Separate tax lots also permit nonprofit unit owners to benefit from a reduced tax burden.
We have extensive experience creating, managing and enforcing the rights concerning commercial condominiums of ground-leased parcels, which are permitted under New York law.
Among the several commercial condominiums we have structured are the Tribeca Film Center, the Triangle Junction Retail Condominium and the Urban Glass House Commercial Unit.
We represented the ground lessor in a leasehold commercial condominium structure to permit New York Hospital to gain a real property tax exemption under Section 420-a of New York's Real Property Tax Law ("RPTL").
We represented a New York college in the purchase of a new commercial unit constructed as part of a redevelopment project in the Bronx under the federal "New Markets" tax credit program.
- Negotiated the ground lease for the fee owner/ground lessor at 407 East 61 Street with Weill Cornell Medical Center including a provision permitting Cornell to convert its leasehold estate into a commercial condominium. Cornell entered into two subleases with itself and became the "declarant" under the declaration of condominium for the leasehold estate thereby qualifying the leasehold interest as equivalent to a fee interest under the City’s tax exemption applicable to not-for profits.
- In one of the biggest financing deals of 2014, Olshan represented the purchaser of the iconic Mobil Building at 150 East 42nd Street, including securing a $700 million loan from Morgan Stanley Mortgage Capital Holdings to complete their acquisition of the leasehold position. The deal included a 99-year ground lease extension with the land owner, purchasing the existing leasehold from Hiro Real Estate, and creating a sub-leasehold condominium to accommodate Mt. Sinai Medical Center. Several Olshan practice groups represented the buyers in the transaction: Tax & Planning, Real Estate and Corporate/Securities. News reports may be found at The Real Deal and GlobeSt.com.
- Represented Metropolitan College of New York, a college founded in 1964 by educational pioneer Audrey Cohen, in the purchase of a commercial condominium to house its growing college programs within a $40 million development known as the Triangle Plaza Hub in the South Bronx . The construction and purchase of the condominium is being financed using New Markets Tax Credits.
- September 18, 2018
- February 20, 2018
- NYREJ Publishes Article by Thomas Kearns on the Escalation of Real Property Taxes in Space Leases of Commercial CondominiumsOctober 2, 2017
- February 17, 2015
- December 25, 2014
- September 19, 2014
- August 29, 2014
- June 5, 2014
- February 27, 2014
- September 24, 2013
- September 6, 2013
- Kearns Published in NY Real Estate Journal on New AG Statement on Investing in Condo Projects Prior to Offering PlanJuly 30, 2013
- April 10, 2013
- U.S. News Media Group and Best Lawyers® selects Olshan's Real Estate Practice for “Best Law Firms" IssueNovember 1, 2012
- May 16, 2012
- June 30, 2011