Facts and Stats
Olshan represents major businesses and entrepreneurs for their most significant transactions, problems and opportunities. Olshan’s clients range from public companies, hedge, venture capital, private equity and other investment funds to entrepreneurs and private companies worldwide. Clients choose Olshan for innovative strategies and sophisticated, game-changing advice in corporate, securities law and shareholder activism, complex commercial, corporate and securities litigation, bankruptcy and creditors’ rights, real estate, intellectual property and advertising. Since its founding over 50 years ago, Olshan has offered an alternative to the AmLaw 50 law firm business model with responsive, independent and client-focused legal counsel provided by the firm’s senior lawyers.
Total number of Practice Groups: 12
- Activist & Equity Investment
- Advertising, Marketing & Promotions
- Bankruptcy & Financial Restructuring
- Brand Management and Protection
- Corporate/Securities Law
- Employee Benefits
- Employment Practices
- Insurance Coverage Law
- Intellectual Property Law
- Real Estate Law
- Tax & Personal Planning
- Chambers USA 2020: Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, has acknowledged Steve Wolosky and Andrew Freedman as Leading Lawyers for Corporate/M&A: Shareholder Activism (New York), and Andrew Lustigman as a Leading Lawyer for Advertising: Transactional & Regulatory - USA – Nationwide. Steve Wolosky, Co-Chair of both the Shareholder Activist and Corporate/Securities Law Practices was ranked in Band 1 and Andrew Freedman, Co-Chair of the Shareholder Activist Practice was ranked in Band 2. Both have been recognized every year since the M&A: Shareholder Activism category was established in 2017. Andrew Lustigman, Chair of Olshan’s Advertising, Marketing & Promotions Practice was ranked in Band 2 in Advertising: Transactional & Regulatory in USA – Nationwide, and has been acknowledged for fourteen consecutive years.
- The Legal 500 United States 2020: The 2020 edition of The Legal 500 United States named Olshan as a Tier 1 Leading Firm in Shareholder Activism - advice to shareholders, and five of the practice’s lawyers have been acknowledged. Co-Chairs Steve Wolosky and Andrew Freedman and partner Elizabeth Gonzalez-Sussman were recognized as “Leading Lawyers,” partner Meagan Reda was recognized as a “Recommended Lawyer,” and partner Ryan Nebel was recognized as a “Key Lawyer.” It is notable that The Legal 500 only recognized five attorneys in the nation as “Leading Lawyers” in the area of shareholder activism and that three of them are Olshan partners. The firm has also been named as a Tier 3 Leading Firm in Advertising and Marketing: Transactional and Regulatory, and four lawyers have been acknowledged. Chair Andrew Lustigman and partners Tamara Carmichael and Scott Shaffer were recognized as Recommended Lawyers, and counsel Safia Anand was named a Key Lawyer.
- Best Lawyers in America 2021: Nine of the firm’s lawyers have been selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© 2021, and one lawyer was named to the “Ones to Watch” list.
- Steve Wolosky, partner and co-chair of the Shareholder Activism practice and the Corporate/Securities Law practice has been named to Securities/Capital Markets Law
- Nina Roket, partner in the Real Estate Law practice and chair of the firm’s Leasing practice has been named to Real Estate Law
- Andrew B. Lustigman, partner and chair of the Advertising, Marketing & Promotions practice has been named to Advertising Law
- Thomas D. Kearns, partner in the Real Estate Law practice has been named to Real Estate Law
- Eric L. Goldberg, partner in the Real Estate Law practice has been named to Real Estate Law
- Thomas J. Fleming, partner in the Litigation practice has been named to Commercial Litigation
- Stephen L. Ferszt, partner and chair of the Employee Benefits practice and partner in the Tax & Personal Planning practice has been named to both Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law and Trust & Estates
- Dov B. Brandstatter, partner in the Real Estate Law practice has been named to Real Estate Law
- Samuel P. Ross, of counsel in the Real Estate Law practice has been named to Real Estate Law
- Claudia Dubón, associate in the Corporate/Securities Law practice was named to the “Ones to Watch” list for Securities/Capital Markets Law
U.S. News-Best Lawyers© “Best Law Firms” 2021:
- Securities/Capital Markets Law - “Tier 1” in both National and New York City Metropolitan
- Real Estate Law - “Tier 1” in New York City Metropolitan and “Tier 2” in National
- Advertising Law - “Tier 2” in both National and New York City Metropolitan
- Trusts & Estates - “Tier 1” in New York City Metropolitan and “Tier 2” in National
- Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law – “Tier 1” in New York City Metropolitan and “Tier 2” in National
- Commercial Litigation – “Tier 3” in New York City Metropolitan
- Super Lawyers 2020: Thirty-five lawyers have been named by Super Lawyers® for 2020 New York Metro. Twenty-four lawyers have been named as “Super Lawyers, " nine have been named as “Rising Stars,” and two selected on the Top 100: 2020 New York — Metro Super Lawyers list. The following Olshan attorneys have been named to the 2020 New York Metro Super Lawyers List: Steve Wolosky, Kenneth Silverman, Kenneth Schlesinger, Samuel Ross, Nina Roket, Michael Neidell, Lori Marks-Esterman, Jonathan Koevary, Jeremy King, Hyman Kindler, Thomas Kearns, Steven Gursky, Mary Grieco, Warren Gleicher, Adam Friedman, Andrew Freedman, Michael Fox, Thomas Fleming, Stephen Ferszt, Spencer Feldman, Tamara Carmichael, Kyle Bisceglie, Ron Berenblat and Safia Anand. The following lawyers have been named to the 2020 New York Metro Rising Stars list: Honghui Yu, Joseph Weiner, Meagan Reda, Ryan Nebel, Kenneth Mantel, Kerrin Klein, Claudia Dubón and Jason Cabico. Additionally, Eric Goldberg and Andrew Lustigman were again included on the Top 100: 2020 New York — Metro Super Lawyers list.
Leading Activist & Equity Investment Practice: Ranked #1 by FactSet SharkRepellent, Refinitiv Global Shareholder Activism Scorecard and Activist Insight; acknowledged by The Deal and Business Insider and consistent top rankings across the board in every publication that covers shareholder activism.
- Awarded Deal of the Year and Activist Campaign of the Year by The Deal for representation of George Feldenkreis in nomination of directors and acquisition of Perry Ellis.
- “Go-To Law Firms®” for Fortune 500 Companies. Selected by Corporate Counsel magazine as one of the “Go-To Law Firms” in Intellectual Property Litigation.
Martindale-Hubbell. Many of our attorneys are AV rated, the highest rating possible by this respected national directory.
Where We Recruit
- Brooklyn Law School
- Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law
- Columbia University School of Law
- Fordham University School of Law
- NEBLSA (North East Black Law Students Association)
- New York University School of Law
- Rutgers University School of Law-Newark