Media, Entertainment & Technology Litigation
Media, entertainment and technology disputes—and their outcomes—are often played out publicly, which can add another layer of complexity to the proceedings. We have extensive experience representing corporate and individual clients in the high profile industries of media, entertainment and technology. Our clients and their matters are regularly covered in leading newspapers (such as The Wall Street Journal and New York Times) trade press and new media. Whether counseling our clients on compliance issues or zealously fighting for their interests in the courtroom, at the arbitration table or through governmental investigations, we have the experience to achieve successful dispute resolutions on their behalf.
Clients have engaged us on the following types of issues:
- Contract litigation
- Licensing disputes
- Fraud claims
- Copyright, trademark and trade secret infringement
- Consumer fraud class action defense
- False advertising claims
- Unfair trade practice claims
- Use of software disputes
- Internal and governmental investigations into data use and privacy
- Federal Trade Commission compliance and investigations
- Partnership and shareholder disputes
- State law compliance
- Content clearance
- Social Media policies
- Proactively addressing media investigative reporting
When needed, our Litigation Group can leverage the expertise of Olshan's Advertising, Marketing & Promotions Group which advises clients on both traditional and social media marketing law issues. For more specific litigation experience in this related area, see our Advertising, Marketing & Promotion Litigation practice.
A Broad Client Base
Our clients come from around the world and include social media companies, advertising agencies, professional athletes, fashion designers, journalists, TV and film personalities, software developers, digital publishers, children's entertainment property owners, modeling and talent agencies, comic book companies, entertainment and licensing companies, video game publishers, computer consulting and infrastructure companies, international sporting event promoters, content owners, internet companies and broadcast networks. A sampling of our clients includes Atari, Inc., Marvel Entertainment, Inc., TV Tokyo Corporation, Fuji Creative Corporation, Toei Animation, Media Square, ADK Corporation, Nihon Ad Systems, Inc., Asatsu-DK and Sauerland Event, GmbH.
- Defending licensor of famous intellectual property in fraud claims brought by former licensee.
- Representing Japanese network and advertising companies, both publicly traded, in all aspects of litigation and bankruptcy related to their rights as licensor of Yu-Gi-Oh!, a well-known children's anime character.
- Successfully defended a digital publisher in lawsuit filed by a developer involving the rights to a widely-popular Massively-Multiple Online Role-Playing Game ("MMORPG").
- Successfully prosecuted contract action related to various comic book and related comic book movie characters on behalf of owner against licensee.
- Obtained a preliminary injunction on behalf of an agency against a competitor arising from the non-competition covenant in the asset purchase agreement.
- Successfully prosecuted on behalf of entertainment company breach of licensing agreement, copyright, trademark and related state law claims involving various animation and film properties.
- Successfully defended video game publisher in lawsuit brought by Canadian trustee for supposed breach of contract and accounting arising from distribution of gaming software.
- Successfully defended video game publisher from lawsuit by French developer over milestone payments.
- successfully defended English software company in lawsuit brought by former reseller.
- Obtained preliminary injunction against defendant for trademark infringement and violation of an expired license for continued use of famous comic book characters and commingling of properties.