Intellectual Property Transactions
We have extensive experience counseling clients in the acquisition and sale of intellectual property rights, including the negotiation and drafting of licensing, distribution and manufacturing agreements.
We also participate in the IP-related aspects of corporate transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, and negotiate and prepare any required documents. As part of due diligence, we research and review the trademark portfolios of the relevant company to determine the extent of coverage and if trademark registrations have been properly maintained. In the case of improperly or unregistered trademarks, we conduct a thorough search to determine whether continued use will violate a third party's rights, and advise our clients accordingly on a strategic course of action.
- Negotiated jewelry license on behalf of Diane Von Furstenberg with Haskell Jewels.
- Performed due diligence and represented the acquirer of the McCormick & Schmick's trademark.
Represented Randa Accessories Leather Goods in its acquisition of Swank, Inc.
Represented Margaritaville at Resorts Hotel and Casino in Atlantic City in the negotiation of a license agreement for the use of the Jimmy Buffet trademarks.
- Represented the purchaser of the trademark rights to Pepe Jeans in North America.
Represented Lifetime Brands, Inc. in its acquisition of Easy Aces, Inc.
Represented Ayablu Incorporated in the negotiation of a license agreement with Burt’s Bees Baby.
- Represented LNK Partners in its minority growth capital investment in Beachbody, LLC, a leading marketer of health and fitness programs and products.
- Represented a major generic pharmaceutical company in the negotiation of a license, support and services agreement for its epedigree / track and trace solution.
- Represented myriad advertisers and advertising agencies in the drafting and negotiation of client-agency agreements.