Martin’s primary focus is on assisting clients in protecting their intellectual property rights. His extensive experience includes matters involving the commencement of trademark infringement, trademark counterfeiting and copyright litigation, the development and implementation of domestic and international anti-counterfeiting programs, the investigation of infringing/counterfeiting activities, trademark prosecution, licensing, manufacturing compliance and product security issues. He frequently assists both clients and law enforcement agencies with the development of intellectual property prosecutions, and lectures on the topic as well.
Martin is also skilled in handling corporate investigations and security matters, general business litigation, and criminal litigation, particularly white-collar and computer-related crimes.
Leveraging his strong background in anti-counterfeiting enforcement, Martin authored a chapter entitled Criminal Enforcement of State Anti-Counterfeiting Laws for the International Anti-Counterfeiting Coalition's (IACC) Trademark Counterfeiting in the United States treatise. This chapter is also used by the IACC Foundation to train law enforcement throughout the United States. Working in conjunction with both the IACC and International Trademark Association, Martin was also instrumental in the development of a model anti-counterfeiting statute that was subsequently adopted by many states. Martin currently also serves as the Co-Chair of the IACC’s North American Task Force and as Counsel to the IACC’s Investigator Advisory Committee.
Martin’s clients include public and privately held companies in the apparel, cosmetics, fragrance, beverage, imaging supply, jewelry, safety & security, dental, home and luxury goods industries.
Prior to joining Olshan, Martin was a partner at Dreier LLP in the Intellectual Property department. He also practiced at Gursky & Partners, LLP and served as a prosecutor at the Kings County District Attorney's Office, where he was a Senior Assistant District Attorney in the Major Frauds Bureau, Rackets Division.
Professional & Community Affiliations
- New York State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- International Anti-Counterfeiting Coalition
- International Trademark Association
- Chanel, Inc., v. National Stores Inc., Conway Stores Inc., et al., No. 14 CV 6348 (D.N.J. 2014) (CC)
Bumble and Bumble LLC v. Harmon Stores, Inc., et al., No. 13 CV 1462 (D.N.J. 2013)(KM)
- Chanel, Inc., v. Fusion Perfumes Corporation, et al., No. 12 CV 2632 (D.N.J. 2012) (WM)
- 3M Company v. Shaf International Inc., and Mohammad Maqbool, No. 12 CV 1743 (D.N.J. 2012) (WM)
- 3M Company v. Unik International Inc., et al., No. 11 CV 3226 (D.N.J. 2011) (ES)
- Nike, Inc. v. Eastern Ports Custom Brokers, Inc., No. 11 CV 4390 (D.N.J. 2011) (CC)
- Nike, Inc. v. ARI Customs House Brokers, Inc., et al., No. 11 CV 3043 (D.N.J.. 2011) (CC)
- Nike, Inc. v. James A. Solan, Jr., et al., No. 10 CV 5486 (D.N.J. 2010) (JL)
- Nike, Inc. v. Cathy Chiu Lam CHB Inc. d/b/a Asian Jade Customs Brokerage, et al., No. 10 CV 1163 (E.D.N.Y. 2010) (JW)
3M Company v. G&V Enterprises d/b/a D&D Outfitters, et al., No. 09 CV 5892 (D.N.J. 2009) (FH)
- 3M Company v. Asad Ahmed, et al., No. 09 CV 1245 (D.N.J. 2009) (FH)
- Nike, Inc. v. Top Brand Co., Ltd., 2006 WL 2884437 (S.D.N.Y. October 06, 2006) (No. 00 Civ. 8179 (KMW)(RLE))
- Nike, Inc. v. Top Brand Co., 2006 WL 2946472 (S.D.N.Y. February 27, 2006) (No. 00 Civ. 8179 (KMW)(RLE))
- Nike, Inc. v. Top Brand Co. Ltd., 2005 WL 1654859 (S.D.N.Y. July 13, 2005) (No. 00 Civ. 8179 (KMW RLE))
- Tommy Hilfiger Licensing, Inc. v. Bradlees, Inc., 2004 WL 2290499 (S.D.N.Y. Oct. 8, 2004)(No. 99 Civ. 4677 (RJH))
- Nike, Inc. v. Variety Wholesalers, Inc., 274 F.Supp.2d 1352 (S.D.Ga. 2003) (No. CV 402-182)
- Nike, Inc. v. Top Brand Co. Ltd., 216 F.R.D. 259 (S.D.N.Y. 2003 (No. 00 Civ. 8179 (KMW)(RLE))
- GTFM, Inc. v. Park, 2002 WL 31890940 (S.D.N.Y. December 30, 2002)(No. 02 Civ. 7020 (DLC))
- GTFM, Inc. v. Solid Clothing, Inc., 2002 WL 31886612 (S.D.N.Y. December 27, 2002) (No. 01 Civ.2629 (DLC))
- GTFM, Inc. v. Solid Clothing, Inc., 2002 WL 31886349 (S.D.N.Y. December 26, 2002) (No. 01 Civ. 2629 (DLC))
- GTFM, Inc. v. International Basic Source, Inc., 2002 WL 31050840 (S.D.N.Y. September 12, 2002)(No. 01 Civ. 6203(RWS))
- GTFM, Inc. v. Solid Clothing, Inc., 215 F. Supp. 2d 273 (S.D.N.Y. 2002)
- GTFM, Inc. v. Wal-Mart Stores, Inc., 2000 WL 335558 (S.D.N.Y. March 30, 2000) (No. 98 Civ. 7724 (RPP))
- Tommy Hilfiger U.S.A., Inc. v. Wholesale Club, Inc., 166 F.3d 1201 (2d Cir. 1998)(No. 98-9341)
- August 6, 2015
- October 16, 2013
- January 4, 2013
- November 4, 2011
- October 12, 2011
- August 2, 2011
- February 21, 2011
- October 1, 2009
- January 2, 2009
- March 15, 2018New York
- April 7, 2016
- The Development of Trademark Counterfeiting Cases in New YorkNovember 12, 2014CLE at Manhattan District Attorney’s Office
- October 23, 2014International Anti-Counterfeiting Coalition’s Fall Conference
- Assessing Trademark Counterfeiting Enforcement OptionsDecember 6, 2013Co-Lecturer with 3M Counsel, U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Author, “Criminal Enforcement of State Anti-Counterfeiting Laws”A chapter in the International Anti-Counterfeiting Coalition's (IACC) treatise entitled Trademark Counterfeiting in the United States.