- What Sets Us Apart
- Value Proposition
- What Others Say
- Pro Bono & Community Outreach
- Where We've Been
Olshan joins Lee® Jeans and the American Cancer Society during the month of October in the movement to rise above breast cancer by donating as a team and wearing jeans in the workplace.
Pro Bono & Community Outreach
Contributing to our community is a big part of what Olshan is about, and we are grateful and honored to be able to make a difference. Firm activities include:
- Olshan is an enthusiastic supporter of Big Brothers Big Sisters of NYC, the leading mentoring organization for underprivileged children in New York. Olshan participates in the Race for the Kids, which promotes the importance of health and exercise, as well as the Ping Pong Tournament and the Annual Dinner. We employ a little brother or sister each summer, and one of our partners serves on the Board of Trustees.
- Joining Lee® Jeans and the American Cancer Society during the month of October in the movement to rise above breast cancer by donating as a team and wearing jeans in the workplace.
- Supporting Joan’s Legacy: Uniting Against Lung Cancer, one of the leading sources of funding for lung cancer research in the country.
- Supporting NVRQT in its efforts to raise money and awareness for the Pediatric Cancer Research Foundation. Short for never quit, NVRQT endeavors to support children in their battle against cancer and inspire researchers working towards a cure. www.nvrqt.org
- Partnering with Operation Backpack, Volunteers of America, School Supplies Drive, to help ensure that every child in the New York City shelter system has a new backpack filled with grade-appropriate supplies at the start of each school year.
- Participating in Winter Wishes, a yearly program that aims to grant the holiday wishes of thousands of disadvantaged children, teens, and families from shelters and community organizations throughout New York City.
- Assisting Stop Hunger Now’s school feeding program, recognized as a viable solution to combat hunger among the world’s most impoverished. Olshan’s 40 volunteers used a fun, engaging assembly line process to package 10,008 meals in just two hours. www.stophungernow.org. “What could be better than having fun, doing good and sharing the experience with friends and colleagues all at the same time.” Steve Gursky, Partner
The success of our pro bono program derives from the dedication of our lawyers and staff and the support given to these program by the firm’s management. Olshan not only encourages participation in pro bono work generally, but also specifically recognizes outstanding individual pro bono achievements. We want Olshan people to invest their time and energy in causes they are passionate about that also maximize their potential productivity.
- “Partaking in the deposition program at the New York City Law Department was a fantastic experience that truly enabled me to grow as an attorney. As a young associate, I was able to gain invaluable advocacy experience that benefits both me and my firm, while at the same time providing greatly needed services to the community.”
Nicole C. Barna, Associate
- “There is something tremendously rewarding about contributing expertise to help a non-profit start a new facility which will help thousands of New Yorkers.”
Thomas D. Kearns, Partner
- “I believe that it is the obligation of every lawyer to perform pro bono work. There are incidental benefits—clients tend to be very appreciative, and it provides me with an opportunity to deal with a new set of legal issues. However, the obligation is independent of those benefits.”
Barry L. Salkin, Of Counsel