- In 2016, Jonathan was named for inclusion to the New York Super Lawyers list, a Thomson Reuters lawyer rating service. In 2014 and 2015, he had been named for inclusion in the New York Super Lawyers Rising Stars list.
J.D., Benjamin N. Cardozo, School of Law, 2004
- Supervising Editor, Cardozo Law Review
- Dean's Scholarship
B.A., Columbia University, 2001
Bar & Court Admissions
- New York, 2005
- U.S. District Court, Eastern and Southern Districts of New York, 2005
Jonathan has a broad range of experience representing clients in all aspects of Chapter 11 cases, in-court and out-of-court restructurings, and bankruptcy and distressed related lawsuits. He also represents asset purchasers in distressed asset and M&A transactions, and provides company- and credit-specific legal analysis to distressed investors and transactional advice to businesses dealing with distressed entities. Jonathan also has a Chapter 15 practice, representing international and domestic entities in the United States in relation to foreign insolvency proceedings.
Jonathan has represented Chapter 11 debtors including, recently, Novation, Syncardia Systems, iON Worldwide, QRx Pharma, Namco Pool, BC Funding, Fox & Hound restaurants and the GMG III venture capital group.
Jonathan represents clients in connection with Chapter 15 cases, including, recently, QRx Pharma, where he obtained an order recognizing an Australian Deed of Company Arrangement that extinguished securities class action claims brought against it in New York.
Jonathan represents Signature in the bankruptcy trial, whereby Signature obtained a judgment for fraud, breach of fiduciary duty and aiding and abetting breach of fiduciary duty against Iconix Brand Group and Christopher Laurita.
Jonathan has represented lenders and official and unofficial creditors' committees in the TerraVia, PFO Global, Implant Sciences, Dana Corporation, Adelphia Communications Corporation, Young Broadcasting, Inc., and Quebecor World, Inc., Chapter 11 cases. He has represented the W.R. Grace & Company equity committee, and creditors in the Chrysler, General Motors, American Airlines, Radio Shack and Enron Chapter 11 cases.
Jonathan has represented AbitibiBowater et al. as debtors in their successful multinational bankruptcy reorganizations and numerous purchasers of distressed assets in section 363 and plan sales, including the lead purchaser of the largest patent portfolio ever sold at auction in the Nortel bankruptcy. Among his avoidance action representations, Jonathan also represented the largest group of clawback defendants in the Bayou fraud adversary proceedings.
Prior to joining Olshan, Jonathan practiced in the bankruptcy and restructuring groups of Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP and Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel LLP.
- Represents Signature Apparel Group, Inc. in connection with its bankruptcy fraud litigation against Iconix Brand Group and Christopher Laurita.
- Represents a DIP Lender in the TerraVia Holdings, Inc. et al. Chapter 11 Case.
- Represented QRx Pharma Ltd. in its Chapter 15 case.
- Represented the original DIP Lender in the Implant Sciences Chapter 11 cases.
- Represents Novation Companies, Inc. et al. in their Chapter 11 cases.
- Represented SynCardia Systems, Inc. in its Chapter 11 case.
- Represented iON Worldwide, LLC et al. in their Chapter 11 cases.
- Represented F&H Acquisition Corp. et al. (Fox & Hound I), in their Chapter 11 cases.
- Represented the largest creditor and DIP Lender in the PFO Global et al. Chapter 11 Cases.
- Represented AbitibiBowater, Inc., et al. in their Chapter 11 cases.
- Represented GMG III Capital Partners III, L.P, et al, in their Chapter 11 cases.
- Represented Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors of Young Broadcasting Inc., et al.
- Represented Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors of Dana Corporation, et al.
- Represented nationally recognized auto rental company as claimant in the General Motors and Chrysler Chapter 11 cases.
- Represented lead joint venture in its Chapter 11 purchase of Nortel Networks' $4.5 billion patent portfolio.
- Represented investment bank as third-party witness in Lehman Brothers Chapter 11 case.
- Represented aircraft lessor in American Airlines Chapter 11 case.
- Represented lender agent and steering committee of LNR Property LLC through out-of-court workout.
- Represented Chapter 11 ad hoc noteholder committee of Quebecor World, Inc., et al.
- Represented largest group of Bayou fraudulent conveyance action defendants.
- Represented FrontierVision noteholder committee in the Adelphia Communication Corporation Chapter 11 case.
- Represented Berry-Hill Galleries, Inc., et al. in their Chapter 11 cases.
- Represented Official Committee of Equity Security Holders of W.R. Grace and Company, et al.
- Olshan Wins Fraud Trial on Behalf of Client Signature Apparel Against Iconix Brand Group and Christopher LauritaSeptember 14, 2017
- January 18, 2017
- September 21, 2016
- September 19, 2016
- July 6, 2016
- June 27, 2016
- March 7, 2016
- September 16, 2015
- June 8, 2015
- September 23, 2014
- August 13, 2014
- June 3, 2014
- February 28, 2014
- February 10, 2014
- December 16, 2013
- August 1, 2013
- January 25, 2013
- January 15, 2013
- March 2016The Bankruptcy Strategist Volume 33, Number 5
Articles & Alerts
- January 23, 2017
- CLIENT ALERT: Appeal Watch: Judge Scheindlin Sets Trial Parameters and Certifies Appeal Over Clash Between Release of Guarantee and Trust Indenture Act in Caesars’ Noteholder CaseOctober 2, 2015
- CLIENT ALERT: Second Circuit Court of Appeals Looks at “Commercial Reality” in Deciding Lehman / Barclays DisputeAugust 7, 2014
- May 22, 2014
- CLIENT ALERT: Recent Rulings Highlight Risks of Shareholder Clawbacks, Capped Credit Bids for Distressed Investors; Appeals PendingFebruary 2014
- January 2013The Bankruptcy Strategist
- CLIENT ALERT: Distressed Debt Buyers Beware: Delaware Bankruptcy Court Holds That Claim’s Defect Follows Claim PurchaserJune 2012
- June 2012
- CLIENT ALERT: Buyer Beware: Bankruptcy Court Rules That A Non-Collusive Foreclosure Sale May Be A Bankruptcy "Preference"March 2012
- CLIENT ALERT: Delaware Bankruptcy Court Approves Contested Real Mex Section 363 Sale to Second Lien Noteholders Notwithstanding Administrative InsolvencyFebruary 2012
- September 21, 2016
- Olshan Names Three New Partners and Four Counsel Effective January 2016; Andrew Freedman named Co-Head of Activist PracticeDecember 21, 2015
- September 16, 2015
- September 23, 2014