- New York City Bar Association’s Thurgood Marshall Award, 2009
- J.D., Harvard Law School, 1999
- B.A., cum laude, Swarthmore College, 1995
Bar & Court Admissions
- New York, 2000
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York, 2003
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York, 2002
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, 2005
Ellen focuses her practice on representing financial institutions, corporations and individuals in regulatory enforcement proceedings, corporate internal investigations and related civil litigation. She also frequently handles litigation for Olshan’s Bankruptcy & Financial Restructuring group, and has experience in representing clients in contract disputes and employment-related claims, including for enforcement of non-compete and confidentiality agreements.
Ellen has represented corporations and individuals as plaintiffs and defendants in federal and state courts and in arbitrations around the world for a wide variety of matters, including dispositive motions, trials and appeals. She has first and second chair trial experience, has argued motions in federal and state court, and has participated in over one hundred depositions.
She has significant experience with white-collar criminal defense matters, and has represented clients responding to regulatory inquires, requests and enforcement proceedings initiated by the U.S. Department of Justice, Securities and Exchange Commission, Federal Trade Commission, Federal Reserve, Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, National Association of Securities Dealers, FINRA, Internal Revenue Service, the Office of the New York State Attorney General, New York Stock Exchange, European Commission, and the UK Serious Frauds Office, among others.
Ellen also has extensive experience with international civil litigation and law enforcement, including seeking overseas discovery under the Hague Convention and investigations under the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, and representing foreign clients in U.S. proceedings.
Ellen also has experience with Constitutional law matters, particularly First Amendment jurisprudence.
Ellen serves as Olshan’s pro bono coordinator, arranging for pro bono opportunities, interfacing with public service organizations and supervising other attorneys on pro bono matters. Some of the proudest moments of Ellen’s career have come from public service. Along with an Olshan associate, Ellen obtained a full pardon for a Vietnam War-era veteran, who overcome a 30 year period of addiction and homelessness, only to find that a decades-old felony conviction—for “trespassing” while sheltering in an abandoned building in the New England winter—was an obstacle to obtaining gainful employment. Working with the NAACP’s Legal Defense Fund, Ellen authored an amicus curiae brief on behalf of several elite private research universities in Fisher v. University of Texas. Her work was cited by the Court in its opinion. The New York City Bar Association awarded her the Thurgood Marshall Award in recognition of her public service to post-conviction inmates who are under sentence of capital punishment.
Ellen also serves on the Board of Trustees for the Center for Employment Opportunities, a non-profit organization dedicated to assisting men and women with criminal convictions with finding employment. She is a member of the Governance and Audit Committees.
Prior to joining Olshan, Ellen was an associate in the Litigation Department in the New York and London offices of Sullivan & Cromwell LLP.
Professional & Community Affiliations
Association of the Bar of the City of New York
Federal Bar Council
Member, Governance and Audit Committees
- Representing men’s active wear clothing designer in licensing dispute with licensee for athleisure clothing line.
- Representing electronic company and leading global provider of microwave tubes and other complex products and components in enforcing non-compete and confidentiality agreements with former employees and various corporate and general litigation matters.
- Representing start up technology and software companies in related SEC investigations.
- Representing Swiss investment bank in connection with customer lawsuit over broken trade.
- Representing recycling incentives company in general corporate and litigation matters, including contract disputes with private and municipal counterparties.
- Representing sellers of organic candy company in post-M&A dispute with buyers.
- Represented and won absolute pardon for Vietnam War-era veteran for decades-old trespassing conviction arising from his seeking shelter in an abandoned building, while homeless and during winter.
- Represented amicus curiae—private research universities focused on STEM fields—in Fisher v. University of Texas; brief was cited by the Court in its decision.
- Represented Japanese commercial and investment bank in enforcing non-compete and confidentiality agreement against former employees.
- Represented Australian pharmaceutical company in class action securities litigation and related bankruptcy proceedings brought by shareholder alleging fraudulent statements and omissions in connection with FDA approval.
- Represented partner in New York State LLC dissolution proceedings.
- Represented construction company in dispute with labor union over dues audit.
- Represented hospital and research center in dispute with investor regarding removal of restrictive legend on share certificates.
- Represented technology company in fee dispute with former law firm.
- Won dismissal on behalf of a California-based Internet company of federal lawsuit alleging trademark infringement, unfair competition and false designation; case has precedential value for “spectrum of interactivity” analysis being developed by the courts of the Southern District of New York to assess whether personal jurisdiction can lie on the basis of website’s accessibility in New York.
- Won a temporary restraining order in New York state court to block the imminent termination of a $50 million hotel franchise and prevent default on a $35 million mortgage. After partially settling the lawsuit, represented the franchise in its subsequent re-branding of the hotel to a new flag.
- Represented shareholder in books and records demand under Section 220 of the Delaware General Corporation Law, brought in Delaware Chancery Court.
- Represented directors in books and records demand under Section 220 of the Delaware General Corporation Law, brought in Delaware Chancery Court.
- Represented shareholder in Nevada state court in connection with lawsuit to compel corporation to hold an annual meeting and for declaratory and injunctive relief with respect to corporation’s unlawful bylaws.
- Represented investment fund in FINRA arbitration proceedings against prime and executing brokers concerning a share buy-in on foreign exchange.
- Represented a licensor prosecuting claims against licensee for breach of exclusive licensing agreement for U.S. and European rights to Japanese anime in expedited trial.
- Represented kitchen and homeware company in state and bankruptcy court litigations and arbitration proceedings following company’s acquisition of the Mikasa brand from French company.
- Represented shareholder in summary proceeding under Section 225 of the Delaware General Corporate Law to determine the composition of the board of directors of company, brought in Delaware Chancery Court.
- Represented broker-dealer and financial advisor in connection with FINRA examination concerning offerings of securities of Chinese companies and advisory services provided to those companies.
- Represented shareholders in dispute with chairman and CEO of defense contractor concerning wrongful redemption of shareholders’ investment.
- Represented an investment bank in state-court lawsuit brought by creditors' committee to bankrupt issuer, alleging fraud and breaches of fiduciary duty.
- Represented an investment bank in federal investigations and concurrent class action lawsuits in connection with underwriting and initial public offering practices, considered one of the largest securities class actions in history.
- Represented financial institution in connection with counterterrorism/OFAC investigation.
- Represented an investment bank in connection with grand jury proceedings arising from DOJ investigation into Internet-gambling-related transactions.
- Represented foreign-based manufacturer in connection with SEC investigations of transactions made with Iraqi Oil Ministry under the United Nations Oil for Food Program.
- Represented foreign-based manufacturer in connection with DOJ economic espionage investigation.
- Represented insurance company in state and federal First Amendment challenges to NY state insurance regulations.
- Represented Georgia, Florida and Texas inmates in post-conviction capital punishment proceedings.
- January 17, 2017
- July 6, 2016
- June 29, 2016
- November 9, 2015
- October 30, 2015
- September 2, 2015
- March 24, 2014
- September 10, 2013
- February 19, 2013
- February 8, 2013
- January 6, 2012
- November 4, 2011
- August 29, 2011